Friday, November 23, 2007

Mr. Death Soundtrack - Caleb Sampson

This is a tough one. One of my favorite directors in the world is Errol Morris, not only because he makes amazing, quirky (Oscar winning) documentaries, but also because he directed all our Miller High Life commercials back in the day. For a while we were bugging him to get us copies of all his movies on DVD. On the day he finally delivered, I got an unexpected bonus, the sound track to Mr. Death: The Rise and Fall of Fred A. Leuchter, Jr. by Caleb Sampson.

It is one of the most beautiful collections of songs you will ever listen to and while the songs are a great sound track to the movie, I think the biggest compliment I can pay this soundtrack is that I now think of it and the movie as two completely different (and wonderful) entities. So, here is the sad part. The day after getting the CD I wandered back into the production office to tell Errol how great it was and the first thing he told me was Caleb committed suicide a few weeks after completing it. All time downer.

No comments: