Saturday, October 25, 2008

Windy Start in Scotland

My brother Stephen and I arrived in St. Andrews, Scotland around 11 AM on Friday morning. After a quick lunch we got straight to the golf, we were able to walk on the Old Course with a couple of local guys just after 1 PM. The sun was out, but it was very windy, I am guessing there were gusts around 35 mph. We both played pretty OK considering we just spent 12 plus hours sitting on a plane. One of the guys we were playing with didn't look like much of a golfer, but he was only one over after nine, which is pretty impressive given the conditions. Stephen had a great par on 16, I hit a great drive, but left my second shot and my first put way short. On 17 I watched everyone draw the ball perfectly over the sheds, in one case almost hitting the hotel. I whimped out and went way left leading to a double. On 18 I had a first, my shot stopped dead in the middle of Granny Clarkes Wynd, the road that crosses the course. I punched a low running shot off the road to within 15 feet, but missed the put.


That night we hit the Central pub for a couple of beers and a great dinner. They have a different pie every night and so far I have not been disappointed. Last night it was a steak and ale pie that was amazing. We hit the wall about 8:30 PM and still had to walk back from the pub. I was pretty happy to hit the hay and slept for 12 hours.


Today we played the Balcomie Links course in Crail and it was windier than I can ever remember. On the first tee the wind was so strong I couldn't stand up straight. There was also no one else on the course which was erie. Dad decided not to play and walked around with us instead as he is playing in a competition tomorrow at Kingsbarns. I don't blame him, it is not a day you would like to go outside never mind going for a four hour hike. Luckily Crail is a short course, so we didn't have to walk too far. Unluckily it is one of the most exposed courses on the Scottish east coast, so you get the full force of the wind. Stephen and I both played well, but we could not make a put. It is very hard to judge the speed of a put when the wind is gusting over 40 mph.

Tonight we are heading out to dinner at the Vine Leaf, one of my favorite restaurants in Scotland.

No comments: