Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

I am not sure that I agree that The Stone Roses spawned Brit Pop, but I do agree that this record was revolutionary. I had never heard anything quite so self assured in a first record before this. I can see how songs with titles like "I Am the Resurrection," and "I Wanna Be Adored" could lead to the likes Liam and Noel Gallagher, but I choose to forgive them if they did spawn Oasis, this record is that good. Stone Roses emerged from Manchester in the early 80's and had gone through a major line up change by the time this record was released in 1989. Part of the Madchester scene that included James, Inspiral Carpets, Happy Mondays, etc. this was their only real success. A record company dispute delayed a second record for over four years. During this time they went through another line up change and seemed to loose momentum.

No comments: