Thursday, November 19, 2009

$20 Jeans. Why pay more?

I think I may have said this in the past, but I can not abide paying a lot of money for blue jeans. When I was a kid I wore Toughskins because that is what my mom bought us at Sears. As I got a little older I begged her for a pair of Levis, and when I finally got them I felt like I had graduated. I think that was in fourth or fifth grade, but either way it was a big deal. In high school I faced another jeans decision. Most of the people I went to school with were wearing Wrangler boot cut jeans, or Calvin Klein designer jeans, but I was a Levis 501 guy. I did not and could not fit into either of those other categories. I didn't want to look like a redneck in Wranglers and if James Dean and the Clash wore Levis, that was enough fashion endorsement for me, despite those great Brooke Shields ads from CK.

So, that gets me to where I am today. I will not wear Diesel, Lucky, or any other $200 pair of jeans. I went to the Fred Meyer where they had Levis 505 jeans, normally $44, on sale for $34.99. With my 40% off coupon I paid $21 for my new jeans. That sounds about right to me.

No comments: