Sunday, November 7, 2010

Metrovino

Last week I got an e-mail from Genoa, one of my favorite restaurants, and they suggested I vote for them for restaurant of the year. When I got to the choices, I was embarrassed to see that I had not been to a few of the other choices. This weekend, we started to rectify that.

Metrovino is a hot new place in the Pearl District, that is dedicated to pairing great wine with great food. They use an Enomatic wine system and a Perlage sparkling system, to keep over 80 wines and champagnes fresh for 30 days so they can serve them all by the taste, glass or bottle. We started with a great glass of champagne, the Dama del Rovere, which was very reasonably priced. I had the salmon tare tare to begin with, which was great, but strangely it was served with onion rings, which did not go together, but were great separately. Barbara had the escargot, which was good, but had a strange almond crust. We both opted for the rib eye for our entree which was a mistake. Both steaks were very fatty and a little chewy. The only savior was the amazing potato fingers in horse radish and the chantrelle mushrooms.

We paired the entree with "The Heavyweight" wine flight, tastes of an '04 Eyrie, DDO Laurene, and a Beaux Freres for $28. I have to say they were all amazing, but when we went to order a glass they were all over $30 a glass, so we opted for a less expensive Bordeaux, the Chateau Croix Mouton at $12.

Metrovino is a very nice space, the service is great, but I am sad to say it is way too expensive for the quality of food we had. If I were to go there again, I would try the bar menu, which is not served in the main restaurant.

Dinner 5:30 PM nightly.

Metrovino
1139 Northwest 11th Avenue
Portland, OR 97209-3469
(503) 517-7778

No comments: