Friday, September 28, 2007

Emmylou Harris - Wrecking Ball

Sometimes you come late to a party and find out even though you missed a lot of great stuff, you can still catch up and make a night of it. This is my story with Emmylou Harris. I first heard her interviewed on Morning Becomes Eclectic, possibly the best music radio show ever, on KCRW in 1995. She was just about to release her new record Wrecking Ball, which they played a few cuts from and I fell in love.

Her life story is classic. She has been married four times, has three kids with three guys, had to move back in with her parents after her first husband left her despite a hit record, recorded a record with Gram Parsons who died of a drug overdoes before it was released, and now she is a music legend.

I am not going to say this is Emmylou's best all time record, as she has recorded 22 since 1968, but it is the one that got me listening to her and I love every song on it. Emmylou is an old school singer, she does not write her own songs. In fact the title track on this record was written by Neil Young, and there are also songs by Jimi Hendrix and Gillian Welch. This is as good a place as any to start.

No comments: