Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Talking Heads 77

It's hard to say this is the Talking Heads best record, as they have released at least four that I think you should have in your collection. You should also own the DVD of their concert film Stop Making Sense, which is one of the best music DVDs ever (but that is another list).


The reason I have chosen 77 is because it is the first Taking Heads record I bought. It was pretty weird but Psycho Killer was getting a lot of play and I loved that song. In fact I recently saw a comedy troop perform an interpretive dance to this song which took it to a whole 'nother level.


A few months after I got hold of this record, Talking Heads were on Saturday Night Live and blew us all away with an amazing rendition of Take Me to the River. After that the deal was sealed, Byrne became my favorite eccentric. On a sad note, I realize I am writing this the same week as the death of CBGB's founder Hilly Krystal. Along with the Ramones and Blondie, Talking Heads were one biggest bands to come out of that 70' New York scene he fearlessly promoted.

No comments: