Saturday, April 5, 2008

The Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God

If you are a Pogues fan, you may question this call. Most critics favor Rum Sodomy & the Lash over If I Should Fall From Grace With God. I say buy both, but if you only buy one, I recommend Fall From Grace because you'll get the Pogues best song ever, Fairytale Of New York. Shane MacGowan sings this duet with the late Kirsty McColl and it is a show stopper.

I first saw the Pogues open for U2 many, many years ago. MacGowan came on stage a little late and was obviously drunk. He sang a couple of songs and people began to pelt him with tooth brushes (he has terrible teeth). He threatened to leave the stage unless the tooth bushes stopped, at which point he was hit on the forehead, turned around and left. The band kept playing like this happened all the time and it turned out to be a great show.

No comments: