Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Jubilee

Not much to report from Sunday, it was a bit of a lazy day - no golf. I had to take the car back to the airport in Edinburgh, which is about an hour drive. I then caught a bus into town so I could get another bus back to St. Andrews. Luckily there was one just about to leave - the buses don't run as often on Sunday - but it was a very slow bus that stopped in every Small town and it took about three hours to get home. Thankfully I had a good book with me.

On Monday morning I got my season ticket to play all the courses in St. Andrews. This was great news as it is pretty expensive to play if you don't have a pass. I stopped by the starter's boxes for the New and the Old Courses to find out when is the best time to get on as a single. Seems like it is luck of the draw, you may have to wait for a while or you can time it just right. I decided to walk over and play the Jubilee as it is usually less crowded.

A little history on the Jubilee Course. Now well into its second century, the Jubilee has developed from a basic 12-hole layout into what many consider to be the toughest test of golf at St. Andrews. The course runs along a tight strip of land between the New Course and the sea, it was originally intended for ladies and beginners. It was laid out by John Angus Jr. and made ready in only three months.

The course was named in honour of Queen Victoria, whose Diamond Jubilee fell in 1897. Around 1902 David Honeyman, Tom Morris' assistant, suggested extending the course to 18 holes. This was done in 1905 at a cost of £150. Further improvements were made between 1938 and 1946, under the supervision of Willie Auchterlonie, the Open Champion of 1893. He increased the course's length to 6,020 yards and commented that "..some day this will be a championship course". In 1988 the re-design of the Jubilee to championship standard was carried out by Donald Steel. The teeing grounds were raised, not only providing great views of the Links, but also exposing the golfers to the winds which sweep in from the bay. The redesigned course now plays at 6,742 yards and is a real test for all golfers.

Tuesday I got lucky. I walked out and got right on to the Old Course as a single with two English guys on a 40th birthday trip. They were a lot of fun to play with and were about the same level as me, although my local knowledge helped a lot. I had five pars, five doubles, and one "other" the rest were bogies. I was happy with my par on the road hole. My drive hit the wall and bounced straight into the middle of the fairway.

No comments: