Sunday, November 30, 2008

Moby - Play

I thought Moby was OK the first time I heard him, but can you trust a memory from some show out in the middle of the California desert, which you had to travel two hours to get to and many of the finer details (like how you got home) are missing? Many of my friends were heavy into techno when I moved to LA and all I could think was, didn't this suck the first time when they called it disco (at least the clothes were better). I also had a hard time with the hours, techno was no 11 pm to 2 am club outing. Usually it was well past midnight before you finally found the "venue" - an abandoned building in Long Beach, a VFW hall in Riverside or a turnoff in the middle of the desert. The djs seemed willing to play as long as you were willing to stay or until the police finally came and sent everyone home. I heard a lot of music I liked at these shows, but it was hard to find out who put out the records as the djs were very protective. Finally some good compilations came out and for a few months in 1991 a radio station in LA featured only techo music. Most of this music has not survived, but a few stars emerged: Fat Boy Slim, Chemical Brothers and most notably Moby. Play is Moby's most commercially successful record, but if you are feeling brave, you should also check out his first, self titled record Moby from 1992.

No comments: