Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Repair Begins

The worst part of the storm drain overflowing is having to fix the damage. I spent all day Saturday and Sunday digging out the mud and replacing the stones on the stairs that washed away. It was especially bad under the house, where a ton of mud had caked all my tools and everything else I store down there. The worst part is that I hurt my back helping the plumber move out the old water heater, so digging and lifting big buckets of stones was not very comfortable.

I ordered a yard of stones and the only way to get them down to the lower part of the yard, is to carry them down the stairs in old paint buckets. Before you can do that, you have to dig out all the old stones that are saturated in mud. I also decided to dig out a flat floor in the crawl space and put some stones down there. That turned out to be a good decision as it is a lot easier to get down there an access everything now.

No comments: