Saturday, July 17, 2010

A Single Man

After hearing an interesting interview with Tom Ford and Colin Firth on NPR, I decided A Single Man might be worth watching. That was a mistake.

Before I started on this review, my wife sent me
the review I should have written, by Dan Smith a photographer and editor in Virgina, where he basically has captured my thoughts exactly. The only good thing about this movie was the very cool, old Mercedes that Firth's character, George, drives.

Otherwise this is an overly art directed film about a bunch of boring people that I would never want to meet or spend time with. I do have to admit there is a very touching moment in the film were George receives a phone call from the family of his long time lover to let him know there has been an accident and his partner, Jim, is dead. As were the times in 1962, George is told the service is "family only," despite having been with Jim for 16 years. It made me feel we might have made some small amount of progress in gay rights in the last 50 years.
This movie offered little else of interest. Julianne Moore's character Charlie was especially annoying and vapid. As far as I could see she was just a prop for Ford to dress in early 60's couture. I won't give away the ending, I'll just say it's predictable and trite.

No comments: