Friday, May 18, 2007

The Clash - London Calling

I am going to get this thing started with the best record I own, The Clash, London Calling. I couldn't wait to get this record, I kept checking the record store as I knew it was supposed to be released the same time in the US as in the UK. 1979, Cactus Records in Houston, Texas. A beautiful double album (now on one CD) that goes from power punk to reggae to a top 40 hit, Train in Vain.

I played this record all weekend until I knew every word by the time I left for school on Monday. To this day, if I hear a song on the radio or my shuffle I instinctively start singing the next song in the original album order. 19 amazing songs (Train in Vain is a hidden extra), who puts that many good songs on one record these days?

When you buy this record, your are going to have to make sure the neighbors are away, because you are going to want to turn it up loud. Your going to dance and jump up and down and you may feel like smashing a few things, that's the contact high from all the speed Mick Jones was on at the time.

No comments: