Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Greatest Game Ever Played by Mark Frost


The Greatest Game Ever Played deftly tells the story behind the legendary 1913 U.S. Open, in which Francis Ouimet, a 20-year-old golf amateur from Massachusetts, shocked the golf world by defeating British champion Harry Vardon, the most famous pro golfer of his time, or so says the intro on Amazon. I am reading Frost's books out of the order they were written in, which is fine as they are not sequential. In fact, I am so far behind that this, his first book, is now coming out in a movie. I have to say, I am very excited to see this movie, as it is such a great story, I don't see how they could screw it up.
Like The Match, this book is captivating. If you know anything about golf, you know how it turns out, but you still can't put the book down. The most amazing thing about reading this book is that I am questioning whether Tiger or Jack are really the best golfers ever. I remember my grandfather telling me about how good Harry Vardon was, but it really didn't click until you hear about the amazing shots and scores they posted with the equipment available at the time. Also, many of the early golfers lost at least four years of playing time to world wars.
On to Bobby Jones next.

No comments: