Friday, January 11, 2008

Cocteau Twins - Heaven Or Las Vegas


It was hard to pick which Cocteau Twins record to include on this list, as I really like them all. But at the end of the day, this is the one I would grab if the house was burning.

The Cocteau Twins formed in 1981 in Scotland and stayed together until 1998. Essentially they were a three person band, adding other musicians for live shows. Liz Fraser is the vocalist and lyricist for Cocteau Twins. Her vocals are mostly unintelligible and her voice essentially serves as another instrument in the amazing sound that this band produces. The first time I saw them in concert I was stunned at how Liz was able to overwhelm a pretty large venue with her voice.

Heaven or Las Vegas is the last record the Cocteau Twins released on the seminal 4AD label. In the 1980's I would buy any record this label released, they were that good -- Clan of Xymox, Colourbox, The Wolfgang Press, This Mortal Coil, Throwing Muses, etc.

No comments: