Friday, September 19, 2008

The Doors - The Doors

You have to have a Doors record in your collection, the question is which one. I recommend their debut The Doors, probably the best debut record of all time. It has three of their all time best songs: "Break on Through (to the other side)," "Light My Fire" and the song that defines the band, "The End." I, of course, was not hip to The Doors the first time around. I bought in when they got big again in the 80's. I'll never forget the Rolling Stone magazine with Jim Morrison on the cover and the headline, "He's hot, he's sexy, he's dead." That about summed it up. The hottest band in the country at the time had not played together in years and the lead sing was dead. When you consider all the crazy stuff they got into when he was alive, I guess this makes sense. Like all wanne be hipster kids of my era I read, No One Here Gets Out Alive, the unauthorized biography of Jim Morrison; I wore my Doors concert tee; and when I was in Paris I made the trip to Père Lachaise cemetery to see his grave site. I'm still a fan.

No comments: