Friday, September 12, 2008

Running for the Bus

I am more likely to run for the bus in the evening than I am in the morning. The reason is that the bus comes by more often in the morning, so you don't feel the need to run. In the evening, if you miss the bus it could be 20-30 minutes to wait for another one. That said, the bus is more likely to stop for you in the morning if you are not at the stop.

In the morning I have a short walk to and from the bus stop. I walk down my street, then down a set of stairs to Belmont where the bus stops about 150 yards down the street. You have to be on Belmont if you want to catch the bus, there is no way you can run fast enough to catch it if you're on the stairs. In the evening, I walk up 12th to Salmon to catch the bus home, about a 10-15 minute walk. If you are about a block from Salmon and you see the bus, you can catch it if you run fast and you get a little lucky with the light. The problem is the bus drivers won't stop for you if you don't make it to the stop. Yesterday I saw the number 15 approaching as I was coming up 12th (you need to make sure it's your bus, you don't want to run for the wrong bus!) and I took off after it. I made it to the stop just as the light changed but the bus took off. I was pissed because I know the bus driver saw me. I kept after him and caught him at the next stop about a block and a half away. When I go on the bus a few people clapped and one guy said, "nice sprint." I was happy to make the bus, but it was a pretty sweaty ride home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you share those stories with your wife when you get home?