Thursday, March 5, 2009

Changing Buses

Today was fun. When I got on the bus, I saw this women passed out in her seat and thought she either had a long night or she was a junky on her way to the methadone clinic. At 39th street, (about half way to downtown for me) the bus driver decided to roust her. She did not respond very well. She could barely stand up and was having a hard time staying awake. He kept asking her if he should call the medical folks, but she was not talking very clearly. On the one hand I thought, yeah let's get her off the bus so we can get to work, but I was also thinking, is it right to leave someone who is basically incoherent sitting on a bus bench?

Luckily the bus driver did the right thing and called for medical help. Of course this meant we all had to empty off the bus and pile into the next one, which was pretty full. The lesson I learned is don't pass out on the bus, no one really wants to help you and if they do it'll take a long time and make people mad.

No comments: