Friday, March 20, 2009

Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Schocking

Name the greatest band to ever come out of LA: The Doors? Gun 'n' Roses? Good choices, but none top Jane's Addiction. Perry Farrell and Dave Navarro combined to give stadium rock a punk rock flavor that was high energy, intense and artistic. The first time I saw Jane's live was at the inaugural Lollapalooza show. Our friend Eric Z. edited their music videos, so he had back stage passes to the show. Before they hit the stage we sat around talking to them for a few minutes and they were truly the weirdest people I have ever met, my friend Kirk said, "I looked into Perry's eyes and I am sure I saw the devil." When they finally hit the stage, they were amazing. I have never seen that kind of energy between a band and a crowd that large.

Nothing's Shocking was the band's first record and is still my favorite. I don't think any of the subsequent records ever captured the energy of the band like this one did. Also, "Jane Says" is still one of my all time favorite songs. In case you are wondering Jane's addiction is Perry, does that make sense?

No comments: