Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Portland Food Carts

Today was a special day, after buying ten burritos, I got my eleventh one free. The punch card is a beautiful thing! Which made me think how much I like the food carts in Portland, and how I am not alone. We don't have a concentration of carts in the Pearl District where I work, but there are several great ones including, Fuego, where I got my awesome chicken burrito, and Whole Bowl. If you head downtown there are about a dozen carts along SW 5th Ave. near Oak that range from Mexican to Indian to BBQ. There is also a cluster of carts by the public library downtown at SW 9th and Alder. Our food carts are so good, they almost get as many reviews as our restaurants. Sunset magazine has a top ten list, the NY Times has a great video about our carts, and there is even a website "Guide to Food Carts in Portland Oregon" that gives great descriptions and directions to all the food carts that is updated regularly. In fact, several restaurants in town started out as food carts, including the now famous Pok Pok. So don't be afraid to try something new just because it is sold on the street out of a cart.

No comments: