Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Horsebrass Pub - Updated 8/15

I must be in a bad mood lately as this is the second negative thing I have to say in two days. Last night, on a whim, I jumped off the bus and got Barbara to meet me at our favorite pub, the Horsebrass. I was really looking forward to a pint of Guinness and a plate of fish and chips. They have the best beer and the best fish and chips in town; I can also recommend the burger, the scotch egg (a boiled egg wrapped in sausage and deep fried), and the Plowman's Plate. I was a little surprised that there were hardly any tables when I walked in, the place was packed. This has been the case ever since the smoking ban passed. This bar was notorious for being one of the smokiest bars in town, and the owner, Don Younger, fought the smoking ban harder than anyone. Now, ironically, his restaurant is doing better than ever.

So we have been here on many a packed night, but the good news is you get that great tasting pint of Guinness and before you know it you are trasported back to Scotland and all the worries of the work-a-day world are gone. Last night things got off to a bad start. I sat down and ordered a Guinness for me and a pint of cider for Barbara, who was on her way down from the house, and the waitress tells me, "I can't get a beer for someone I haven't seen." WTF are you talking about? OK, deep breath. I order my pint and she promises to be back in a minute to clean off the table and take my food order. As the place is packed, I want to get it in quick. About five minutes pass and nothing happens. Finally Barbara gets there and I try to catch the waitress's eye to order a cider, nothing. Meanwhile I am watching beers pile up on the bar and she is taking the wrong beers out to tables, as she has no idea what is what. So every beer she brings back just adds to the confusion. Another 10 minutes go by and still nothing. I have to say, all I need is my beer and I am happy, I don't care how long the food takes. We decide to give her another few minutes, but she still hasn't even moved any of the beers off the bar. Finally, we get up and take off. A really disappointing night. I have to say, I really love that bar, but another night like that and it's off the list.


Update: Good news, we went back on Friday night and everything was back to normal. The regular waitresses were bringing pints of beer and plates of fish and chips in a timely manner and all was right in the world again.


No comments: