Sunday, August 1, 2010

Tracey Thorn - Love And Its Opposite

Tracey Thorn is one half of one of my favorite bands, Everything but the Girl. With her husband Ben Watt, they transitioned from a hip '80's jazz-pop band to dance floor '00's electronica. Along the way they have taken a couple of hiatus and both released solo records. In her third and latest solo effort, Thorn has created an amazingly raw and age appropriate record. I have to say, I was taken aback the first time I listened to it; it's like seeing Meg Ryan playing a forty-year-old versus clinging to her adolescence. Two songs in particular stand out to me "Oh, the Divorces!" and "Singles Bar," they both speak to real life problems - the kid exchange and the hours of getting ready to hide your age for a night out on the town. "Hormones," is another eye opener that chronicles the arguments between a mother and daughter. This is an amazing record; as well as writing great songs, Thorn should get credit for her bravery - middle age is a tough place for an artist to go.

1 comment:

Jeremy -- said...

Hey, I find your blog really interesting. You don't know me. I'm just getting started and would appreciate it if you followed me. I would follow you in return. Let me know what you think, please check out my blog. Thanks so much!

-Jeremy,

http://now-thats-spectactular.blogspot.com/