Thursday, January 29, 2009

Bring Back the Public Restroom

The bus had to take a little detour today because 5th street was closed. As we drove up Oak St., I looked out the window and saw this guy grabbing at the front of his pants. Before I could look away I saw the second worst result I had going through my mind. He whipped it out and started peeing right on the curb behind a dumpster. I want to make it clear that even though there was a dumpster, people were still walking on the street right beside him and you could clearly see what he was up to. I was so grossed out that I wanted to get off the bus and call the cops on this guys, but then I thought about it for a second. What choices did this guy have?

He didn't look too bad, but he may be homeless and have no place to go. Even if you are not homeless, have you ever tried to find a bathroom in a big city? Everywhere you go the signs say, "Restrooms for Customers Only." It's hard to find a place to go and if you do, the place is usually so gross you'd rather get a urinary tract infection from holding it than go in there.

What ever happened to the old fashioned public toilet? When I was a kid, I went to visit my family in Scotland they had them all over the place. I know in these lean times it would be a hard sell to get people to pony up tax money to install more public toilets, but it's got to be better than seeing people pee on public streets.

No comments: