Friday, January 23, 2009

Dash Rip Rock - Boiled Alive!

I went back and reread my first post in this series and I was reminded that part of the gig here was to turn people on to records that they may not have heard of before. So, to make sure I am not filling this blog up with the obvious, I offer you, Dash Rip Rock Boiled Alive! I first saw these guys live in Houston in 1988 (about four years after they got together in New Orleans) and they were great. DRR is a straight-ahead rock & roll band with a southern twist, that fit well into the indie rock scene of the time. The original trio consisted of vocalist/guitarist Bill Davis, bassist Ned "Hoaky" Hickel, and drummer Fred LeBlanc who left in 1989 to found Cowboy Mouth. Since then I think they have been through a couple drummers and several bass players. The last time I saw them live was in 2006 at a little bar in New Orleans where it was Davis' 43rd birthday. He came out in a gold body suit (ala Elvis) and played a great show featuring all the old favorites, they even had Fred LeBlanc sit in for a few songs.

No comments: