Monday, January 26, 2009

Sam Adams is back at Work

It looks like Mayor Sam Adams has decided to come back to work and get down to the business of running the city. Below is the e-mail he sent out yesterday:

Dear Portlander,


Tomorrow, I go back to work as your mayor. I know I have made big
mistakes. I know I have let you down. And I ask for your forgiveness.
I believe I still have a very positive contribution to make -- to put
to work the 20 years of public service to the good of Portland. And as
I do this, I pledge to you I will work harder than I have ever worked
before to make sure Portland meets our challenges.


These are some of the toughest times we've ever faced. The worst
recession in 60 years, one of the highest national unemployment rates,
some of the toughest business landscape we've ever seen.
Now, rightfully, I know Portlanders are not going to rely on my words,
and will look to my ability to deliver results to them in the coming
months. Like working with my colleagues to prioritize city spending to
protect the most viable public services, like public safety. Like
implementing the half-a-billion dollar economic stimulus package that
puts Portlanders back to work at good-paying jobs. Like improving our
schools. Like making sure that as the green economy unfolds that
Portland is at its hub.


And as we do this work together, with the lessons that I've learned in
hand, I will work each and every day to restore your trust and faith
in me as a public servant. I want to thank everyone who has sent me
letters and texts and emails of support. I want to thank everyone who
has sent me questions and who have, rightfully, sent me criticisms. I
look forward to working with all of you to make sure that Portland
moves forward.


Thank-you,
Sam

No comments: