Sunday, January 18, 2009

Frazier Chorus - Sue

Frazier Chorus was formed in Brighton, England by singer/keyboardist Tim Freeman, percussionist Michelle Allardyce, flutist Kate Holmes and clarinetist/programmer Chris Taplin. They got the name Frazier Chorus from an American baseball jacket Michelle found at a second hand store. In 1987 they put out their first single, "Sloppy Heart" on 4AD records, which I have said before is the coolest record label there ever was. Like most bands, these guys were all friends with similar musical tastes that decided to start a band. Unfortunately, like most bands, spending a lot more time together recording and performing strained the friendship. Michelle left the band soon after and it became the Tim Freeman show. They released two records that are still near and dear to me, because I knew all the band members before they got their record deal and one in particular is still very near and dear to me - my cousin Michelle Allardyce. Even though she didn't play on the second record Ray, I still like it and if you can find it, you should buy it along with Sue. Both records do that thing I love - cynical, dark lyrics combined with and upbeat poppy sound.

No comments: