Sunday, February 21, 2010

Ping Restaurant


I have been hearing a lot about Ping restaurant lately as they have been named a rising star in the Oregonian restaurant guide, GQ named them #4 in their top ten new restaurants, they are a finalist for the James Beard award, and most importantly one of the partners at Wieden+Kennedy, where I work, is a part owner. So, with all that hype to live up to, we took a small seat for two by the door last night (we were very glad we made reservations as the wait for a table was over an hour).

Ping is a hipster place, but there was a wide variety of different patrons, from families, to couples on a date, to hipsters. I thought the waiter was going to be a hipster jerk, but he was super nice and helpful with recommendations. We started with some great cocktails, of which I would highly recommend the drinking vinegars, with or without alcohol. The passion fruit flavored vinegar, did not taste like vinegar at all, it was refreshing and citrusy. We then moved on to the Salapao, a Thai-style steamed bun stuffed with shredded pork and shallots, which was amazing, and by far my favorite thing. In fact I wish I could have one right now. Then the food started coming out fast and furious. The Spicy Mama Ramen noodle soup was a super doctored take on instant ramen and very flavorful. The pork collar was good, and was plused by the spicy dipping sauce. Finally the trout fish special was very good as long as you ate the skin, otherwise it was bland.

I was still a little hungry, but we were not tempted by any of the deserts on the menu, the only short coming I would mention. Otherwise, I can definitely see why this place is getting a lot of hype. The food is great and the atmosphere is fun. I only wish they had a bigger bar, it would be great to just sit and drink a flavored vinegar.

Open M-F 11 am-10 pm
Open Sat 5 pm-10 pm
Closed Sun

Ping
102 Northwest 4th Avenue
Portland, OR 97209
(503) 229-7464

No comments: