Monday, June 4, 2007

Bandon Dunes

Just got back from playing 108 holes of golf in four days and my feet are a little sore. But no amount of pain can diminish the great experience that is Bandon Golf Resort. If you don't believe me, both Golf Digest and Golf Magazine have rated it ahead of Pebble Beach as the number one golf resort in the US. And since I have been to Pebble I can say I agree, in fact, outside of St. Andrews there is not a better golf experience in the world that I can think of

This was not my first trip to Bandon, but they have added a golf course since the last time I was down there and I think it is the hardest course yet. I have heard anything over a 130 slope rating is hard and Bandon Trails is rated at 135. It is a Ben Crenshaw design and the greens are very tricky. I have to add that there was 2-3 very questionable pin placements the two rounds I played, that added to the pain.

The great thing about Bandon is that you go there to play golf. You play two rounds a day, you eat and you sleep. There is not much else to do and we like it that way. You should not get the image that it is two bunks, a mess hall and some golf. The rooms are great. You can get them in many different configurations. If you have a big group you a can get up to four bedrooms in one lodge. Also, the food is top notch. They have steaks, seafood and my personal favorite meatloaf in the main grill as well as a pub that serves burgers, sandwiches, fish and chips, etc. The wine list is extensive with good Oregon and California selections, but it is a little pricey.

Overall the facility is excellent. There is a 24 hour shuttle that gets you to your room or out to the practice facility and the courses. There is a workout room you will never see. There is a masseuse for those tired feet, as well as a spa and sauna. And there are pro shops and restaurants at each of the three courses.

If you are a serious golfer you will love all three courses at Bandon, but the traditionalist will love the original 18, Bandon Dunes. It reminds me the most of the links courses in Scotland. The gorse is deep and plentiful, but the course is pretty wide open. It's main protection is the elements. If it is windy (and it almost always is) and rainy this is a tough loop.

Pacific Dunes is more "designed" than Bandon Dunes and a tougher course. The wind adds to the damage here as well. The greens are trickier and the fairways are a lot tighter. Straight drives and a smart short game is what you need to get around this course in one piece. Some good reads from one of the great caddies will help too (yes you should get a caddy if you have never played this course before).

My feet are sore, I can't lift my arms above my head and my face still stings from the wind burn, but I would play another 36 tomorrow if I could.

No comments: