Friday, June 22, 2007

Lyle Lovett - Step Inside This House


I feel strange picking Step Inside This House as the Lyle Lovett record I want to feature. He is my favorite singer/songwriter, but he didn't write any of these songs. This is an ode to Guy Clark, Robert Earl Keen, Michael Martin Murphy, Walter Hyatt and Townes Van Zandt. They are all Lyle's favorite songwriters and if your grew up in Texas you grew up listening to their songs.

It seems like you would have to have a strong sense of self and a lot of confidence to cover these songwriters. You also have to have some humility to put the pencil down and do a record of all covers. My impression is that Lyle Lovett has these attributes in spades, which help him pull off this amazing double record of songs.

One of the best parts of this 100 best records thing is actually listening to the record while I type. Texas Trilogy: Bosque County Romance actually makes me well up every time I hear it.

No comments: