Monday, June 18, 2007

Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis

It's strange to think that a southern white woman made my all time favorite soul record, but here it is, the most soulful record I have in my collection. Dusty sounds like a woman who has felt real pain and is not afraid to share it with you.

I have to admit I did not really know Dusty until I heard her sing on a Pet Shop Boys record. I had heard a couple of her songs, but many of them were covered by other people and I did not realize she was the original singer. I also did not realize that many of her best songs are Randy Newman compositions (it is hard to say enough about him as a song writer).

In it's day I think "Son of Preacher Man" was the only hit off this record and it's probably the reason I originally bought the record, but I was richly rewarded with several amazing songs, my favorite: Breakfast in Bed. So take a trip back to Memphis in 1969 and you'll meet a woman whose lived more than most of us.

No comments: