Friday, June 8, 2007

Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bullocks

We are going old school here, back to 1976. I was blown away when this record came out. The idea that you didn't have to be able to play instruments, just be able to shout and have a lot of energy was very inspiring. Sure it was a huge hoax, but it was a lot of fun while it lasted. And last it didn't. This is the only studio album the Pistols ever made. Everything else is a repackage, etc.

I remember being one of the only kids on the block who had this record. Needless to say, punk rock was not big in Houston in the late-70's. It wasn't really until new wave music took off that early punk caught on. Luckily I spent my summers in Scotland and punk was in full effect. The Pistols and the Damned were playing a double bill at the Edinburgh Playhouse. I have never seen so much spit in my entire life. In fact I feared for my young life most of the show.

I am not going to get into the argument over who started punk, American vs. UK punk, etc. All I have to say is, if one record has to define the genre this is it.

No comments: