Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Blind Leading the Blind

I know this is going to sound bad, but today I literally saw, "the blind leading the blind." It made me laugh a little because my Mom and Grandmothers always used to say this when I was trying to show my brother how to do something and neither one of us knew what we were doing. I thought this saying came from the bible and sure enough I looked it up and Matthew 15:14 says, "Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch." But there was also an older quote listed from the Hindu treatises, which suggests Matthew may have not originated the thought, "Abiding in the midst of ignorance, thinking themselves wise and learned, fools go aimlessly hither and thither, like blind led by the blind."

So back to the bus. Two blind guys get on, one with a dog and one with just a cane and I have to tell you neither seemed like they knew what they were doing. There are a lot of blind people that ride the bus and the few that I see regularly seem super confident. They come right on the bus and immediately take the first seat so the bus driver can call out their stop. One time a bus driver forgot to tell a blind guy about his stop and when he finally realised it, we were way passed the stop, that was one pissed off blind guy. Anyway, these guys were really struggling to find a seat and were bouncing around a lot. The guy with the dog was trying to help the other guy, but it was not going too well. When they got off I was not confident that they knew were they were going, but the quickest way to piss off a blind person is to try to help them with directions, so I let the blind lead the blind.

No comments: