Sunday, December 27, 2009

Driving to New Orleans

My mom made us a great breakfast then we began the five hour drive to New Orleans. I usually like making this drive, but I have to say there were too many crazy drivers on the road for me. People passing on the right and cutting in front of you if you leave any opening at all. Out of no where some lady in a loaded down Cadillac pulled up to be and shot the bird as she passed on the right. I had no where to go, as there was a line of cars in front of me, so I am not sure why she was so mad.

For the second year in a row, we stopped at Prejean's Cajun restaurant in Lafayette for lunch and for the second year in a row it was very good. We both had gumbo, Barbara had seafood, and I had chicken and sausage. Make sure you ask for the rolls, they are very tasty.


We are not staying at Barbara's Mom's house this year, as it is full, so we rented a place down in the French Quarter. I was pretty worried about what the place would look like, but was relieved that it turned out to be OK. It is a little small and the bathroom is not super nice, but the location is good and there is a nice party area up on the roof, where we are hoping to have a pre-New Years party. The one thing that is hard to find in the Quarter is a good grocery store, we ended up spending a lot more than we should have on sundry items.

With all the great restaurant choices in the French Quarter, we made a bad decision last night and got a slice of pizza to go with a frozen daiquiri. It held us over OK until we met everyone at Pat O'Brian's for drinks. It was a good time to be at Pat O's as it is not too crowded yet. As soon as the Sugar Bowl fans start to arrive that will all change.

No comments: