Thursday, December 24, 2009

Golf and BBQ

I played my first round of golf at the Houston Country Club, where my sister is a member, despite living in (or going to) Houston for over 30 years. It is a very nice club in the Tanglewood area of town, with a lot of wealthy, old Houston members. I have eaten lunch in the dining room back when I was in high school, but that as close as I came to greatness in the past. The course is pretty long, with most par fours over 400 yards. There is one strange par five, that almost goes in a circle. If you could hit a straight 300 yard drive over a bayou, you would easily reach the green. If you can't you need to go around the circle about 550 yards. Otherwise the course is a pretty straightforward layout. The clubhouse is very nice as is the dining room and the other amenities. It would be a great place to live in Houston as you could easily walk to the club.

After golf, we ate lunch at my favorite BBQ place, Goode Company BBQ, where the motto is, "You should seriously think about thanking your lucky stars you are in Texas." They have great Texas BBQ, jalapeno bread, and chocolate cream pie. We had panned to go out for sushi for dinner, but everywhere was closed for Christmas eve, so we got some BBQ to go and we ate it for dinner too. Barbara also had a star sighting, she saw the long bearded singer from ZZ Top.

Barbara posted this picture on facebook, to which one of her friends commented, "I have seen clearer pictures of Big Foot, I guess we will have to take your word for it."

No comments: