Friday, December 18, 2009

Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose

Loretta Lynn has been making records since 1963 and has released over 40 of them, but I only own one. Sure I have seen the movie Coal Miners Daughter and she has over 70 top 40 country hits, so I am sure we all know a lot of her songs, but Van Lear Rose is one of the all-time great records of any genre. It also has one of my all time favorite songs "Portland Oregon." If I had my way, we would make this the official song for the city.

Jack and Meg White of the White Stripes produced this record. They are huge Loretta Lynn fans, and dedicated their first record to her, covering one of her songs as a B-side. When Lynn heard about this, she followed Johnny Cash's example and teamed up with the young Whites to make this amazingly raw record.

No comments: