Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A quite day in New Orleans

We started the day a little late as the street car did not get us back to our beds until 2 a.m.

Brunch was the first order of the day, and we made our way down to EAT in the French Quarter. This is a great little restaurant off the beaten path. Unlike most places in New Orleans it is full of light and bright colors, which make it very friendly and welcoming. They serve breakfast and lunch from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and dinner after 5 p.m. I had a great potato and leak soup followed by a very nice crab cake po'boy. My one complaint was that the curly fries were not very hot. Barbara opted for several sides to go with the gumbo. The fried green tomatoes were very nice, as were the red beans and rice, and the smothered greens. The waitstaff were nice and efficient and the prices were reasonable, so it is a place I will go to again.


It was raining pretty hard yesterday, so we only took a short work through the Quarter, checking out a few of our favorite galleries. It was a perfect day for a movie, but I have to say I was not excited by any of the choices, so I gave it a pass and spent the afternoon reading my book. Barbara met up with her sister and watched The Blind Side, which she gave two thumbs up. I am a big fan of Sandra Bullock, but I have yet to enjoy a movie she has been in, so I was not heartbroken.

We ate dinner over at Barbara's mom's house, where her sister Tish had prepared a great pot of red beans and rice. It was just the right amount of spice and mixed well with my strawberry margarita daiquiri. I also enjoyed watching Nebraska manhandle Arizona in the Holiday Bowl. The Cornhuskers could have a really good team next year.

No comments: