Friday, February 27, 2009

Everything But The Girl - Walking Wounded

I first saw Everything But The Girl at the Royal Albert Hall in 1987. It was a night I'll always remember for several reasons. One, it was the first show I saw in the RAH, which is one of the best places you can ever see anyone. Two, I thought EBTG were amazing. I didn't know their music very well, but my fiend Tommy Oliphant was a big fan and he convinced me to buy the tickets even though I was flat broke. Soon after the show (when I got a little money) I bought all their records. The third and final reason is that I got soaked on the way to the show. A cab hit a huge puddle and splashed half a swimming pool all over me. I was so wet, I stripped down to my jeans and T-shirt during the show and hung all my clothes, including my socks over the balcony to dry out a little while we enjoyed the music.

To me EBTG is like two different bands. The 80's version was more in the 4AD vein - alternative, jazz-pop. 1984's Eden and 1986's Idlewild are the two best records from this era. In the 90's EBTG went electronic and the result is two amazing records Walking Wounded and their last effort in 1999, Temperamental. You won't go wrong with any of these records.

No comments: