Monday, February 23, 2009

Talking on the Bus

I don't like to talk to people on the bus. On the way home I always wear my headphones and I don't make eye contact. On the way to work I have not always been so lucky. Earlier in the week I saw my neighbor who normally rides his bike to work, but that day he decided to take the bus. We ended up talking all the way to downtown. The problem is that he is a really nice guy and it would have been great to have him over to the house to get to know him, but I don't like to talk on the bus. I don't like those people I normally make fun of for telling their life stories on the bus, hearing me tell my life story. If you know me and we see each other on the bus you should say hello and then enjoy your ride quietly. If you have to talk, wait until we get off the bus.
Today I met a guy who loves to talk on the bus. This rasta guy is a T-shirt designer. He doesn't like to buy stuff on the Internet, he likes to support local shops. He is also very anxious to hear people's opinion on how we can get more cars off the street. He didn't go to college, but wanted to hear where we all went to college and what we studied. Again a lovely guy that I am sure would have been very interesting to talk to if we weren't on the bus.
In Japan, people get very uncomfortable if you talk to them on public transportation. I think we should all learn form this.

No comments: