Saturday, October 17, 2009

Day Two in St. Andrews

I slept for nine and a half hours last night without waking up. I did my best to stay up until 10:00 p.m., then slept straight through until 7:30 a.m. We played the Jubilee course today in St. Andrews and I struggled to a 94. I did not drive the ball very well, and I could not hit an iron shot straight to save my life. Luckily I putted well enough to keep the score under 100. Yesterday was the opposite, I was driving the ball well, but couldn't make a put, as I shot a 92 on the New course.

Tonight we had a nice dinner at a restaurant called the Doll's House. It is one of three restaurants in town run by the same people. We ate at the Glass House this summer and it was great. The Doll's House was equally good and they had a great fixed price menu, which made it quite affordable. I had a nice red pepper soup to start and the steak for my entree. The mussells and the sea bass were also very popular at the table. After dinner we went to the Byre Theater to see a jazz concert. The concert was good, although it was a little strange to hear a bunch of American standards sung with a slight Scottish accent.

I have been wanting to go to the Byre Theater for a long time as it was renovated several years ago and looks great from the outside. They have added a bar and a cafe, as well as renovating the theater space. Unfortunately they recently lost their grant that allowed them to have a preforming group in residence, so now they have a lot of one off plays, dance theater, and music events. The last time I was in the Byre Theater before today was in 1974 when I was in a school play.

The Doll's House
3 Church Square
St. Andrews, Scotland
01334-477422

No comments: