Friday, October 23, 2009

The Hardest Par Three in the World

Last year there was a small blurb in Golf World with an amazing picture of "the hardest par three in the world" at Anstruther Golf Course. When I saw it I sent it to my brother and my dad and said we should play it over the summer. Unfortunately, we got too busy and never did, but I finally got over there today.




We started the day with a round at the Balcomie Links and lunch at the Crail Golf Club. I did not play very well, so I was a little worried about playing another nine holes, never mind the hardest par three in teh world. My fears were allied when we drove the five miles down the coast to Anstruther. It is a great little fishing village with several good pubs and restaurants, adn the harbor is probably one of the most photographed places in the area.


The Anstruther Golf Course is only nine holes; a par 31 at 2252 yards from the middle tees. There is a clubhouse that overlooks the harbor, where you can get lunch or an after-round drink and there is a small starter's box where you can pay or put your money in an honor box if no one is around. The first hole is a very steep, uphill, 263 yard par four. My drive hit the top of the hill, then started to roll back down, leaving me with a 100 yard pitch, which I got on the green and two putted for par. I was two over for the next three holes which were pretty flat and uneventful. Then you come to number five, the hardest par three in the world. You have a totally blind tee shot, and the green is 247 yards out. There is a huge cliff on the right and the fairway banks steeply towards the rocks and the sea on the left, so it is almost impossible to keep the ball on the fairway. I hit a great three wood that landed on the right side of the fairway and bounded toward the left rough. After a long look, we were able to find it and I chipped it to within seven feet, unfortunately I yanked the put and had to settle for a bogey.



Number six is a great uphill 128 yard par 3. I hit it long, but it bounced off the hill and came back to within five feet; I made the put for birdie. Seven is a tricky 171 yard par three straight uphill, with the green on a ridge that you can't see from below. I hit my drive way too long and it cost me a bogey. I pared in on eight and nine, putting my chips close enough that I didn't have to put, which was a good thing. I ended up with a 34 for the nine holes. I have to say it was a great experience. I have played a lot of famous courses, but this was as fun as any of them. From now on, I am going to make an effort to seek out these little nine hole gems.

No comments: