Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Old Course and Pizza

I finally broke 90 on the Old Course for the first time this year. I played with my Dad and two guys from England, one was around my age and the other was his son, who was around 16. They were good golfers, but the son was wild off the tee. We could not get him to line up far enough left and he put two out of bounds on the first tee.

For the last half a dozen times I have played the Old, I have been out of bounds with my drive on the 16th or 17th (or both). Today I pared both holes, although I needed a chip in from 40+ yards off the green on the 17th. Unfortunately I boggied the 18th due to a duffed second shot that barely went 100 yards. I hit a pretty good chip through the valley of sin and had a 12 footer for par that I left about 3 inches to the right of the hole. I was out in 44 and back in 43, for an 87. I was very pleased with the back nine as the wind was gusting up to 40 miles an hour out at the turn and it was tiring just trying to walk.

After the golf, we had dinner at Pizza Express, which has been around for ever, but for some reason I have never been there. It is a really nice, bright space, with lots of pizza choices as well as pasta and salads. We split a couple of Cesar salads and three pizza's between four people and it was plenty of food. The pizzas are great. I would recommend the Fours Seasons - one quarter peperoni, one quarter cheese, one quarter mushrooms, and one quarter anchovies (the anchovies are very strong in Britain, not like the US); the Diavolo - spicy beef, pepperoni, onions and Tabasco, with hot green or jalapeno peppers; and the Pollo ad Astra - torn chicken breast and peppadew sweet peppers, mixed with Cajun spices, garlic oil and red onions. The prices are also very reasonable and the waitstaff are cheery.

Pizza Express
3-4 Logies Lane
St AndrewsFife KY16 9NL
01334 477109


Opening hours: 11:30 AM - 10:00 PM

No comments: