Monday, July 27, 2009

Kingsbarns

My grandfather and his brothers grew up playing golf on a nine hole course in Kingsbarnes, but unfortunately the coastline the course ran along was mined during the second World War, and the course fell into disrepair, and was never used again after the war. So, while there has been a Kingsbarnes Golf Club since 1793, there was no golf course from the 30's to the end of the century. Nearly 70 years after it's demise, a world class links course was built on the original ground. It is easily one of the best courses in Scotland. I don't get to play it very much as it costs 165 pounds (around $300) per round, but every now an then my dad can get me on at a discount as he is a member of the original Kingsbarnes Golf Club. Members are entitled to a dozen or so rounds a year on the course at 20 pounds a round. They also have a tournament they play there against the Crail Golfing Society. As a member of both clubs, my dad has often shown up thinking he was playing for one team, then substituted in for a missing member on the other team.

Today was a beautiful day in Kingsbarnes, the sun was out and the wind was mild. This lead to a very satisfying 85 for me, the only blemish was a blow up on the 18th hole that left me a little disappointed. However, I soon got over it with a beer at the Barnes pub in town. In the past we have highly recommended this pub as a place to eat. Unfortunately, this great little pub looks like it has lost some of it's sheen. I would say you can grab a beer on the way back into St. Andrews, but I would not make a special trip out there to eat.

No comments: