Saturday, July 25, 2009

Perfect Scottish Day

My W+K colleague Spence Kramer came up to Scotland today. He was able to take the weekend off in between a trip to the London office and the Amsterdam office. Unfortunately he could not get on the Old Course due to a tournament, so he headed out Kingsbarnes. I passed on playing, as it costs around $300 a round. I think he had fun, but unfortunately he got stuck with a couple of crappy golfers and endured a five and a half hour round. We are planning to hook up and play the New Course tomorrow morning.

I spent the morning walking around town with Barbara looking at the shops and trying to find her a waterproof golf jacket. We stopped for lunch at my favorite pub, the Central. I had the "pie of the day" the Steak and Ale pie; Barbara had the antipasti plate, and as usual the food was great. Still the best pub in St. Andrews.

We spent the afternoon out at Creighton Park. I had not been there since I was a small kid. It was amazing, they have added a lot of great new stuff to play on and kept all the cool old stuff: the paddle boats, the putting green, the trampolines and most importantly the train. Unfortunately the park had been vandalized the night before we went and the admission office was broken into and all the windows smashed. The train was pushed off the tracks, but luckily it was fixed by the time we got there. The kids had a great time and it was a bummer to leave. The last time I was there, bell bottom pants were high fashion.

So how can you have the perfect Scottish day without golf? Easy, when it's sunny, it is great here, no matter what you do.

No comments: